Hilux Pickup Owners Club & Online Community
Jake1991

ABS help!!!

Jake1991

Help people... Please

Abs keeps randomly activating on my mk5 only at low car park speeds when pulling up

Light sometimes comes on and goes off as it pleases

Anybody had anything like this before can't test it as its the old style plug not obd2

Tested the ohms on the sensors and all seem to be pulsing when the wheel is spun

Thanks  🤔🤔

hiluxman

What plug are you tryng to diagnose from? On the mk5 there is an obd2 plug under the dash on the drivers side :thumbsup:

Jake1991

Couldn't find anything under the dash only the one at the front of the engine block thanks 

james21

One of the reluctor rings may have cracked / split open with rust expanding under it. This makes the abs activate at low speeds. 

JasXPear

There must be a problem with one of the speed sensors i guess. Dunno if they can get mucked up and need a clean or just faulty

Jake1991

It dose tend to pull to the left when the abs kicks in so I was thinking front right problem possibly. Only the ohms resistance seemed consistent when we spun the wheel

hiluxman
1 hour ago, Jake1991 said:

Couldn't find anything under the dash only the one at the front of the engine block thanks 

There is deffo one under there, I plugged my 2003 mk5 truck in a few times as well as my subsequent mk5s

Sparks
1 hour ago, hiluxman said:

There is deffo one under there, I plugged my 2003 mk5 truck in a few times as well as my subsequent mk5s

Agree and once you see it you can't un-see it, it's just under the dash drivers side of the ashtray, you need to get your head under there, sure i did a pic but can't find it now :huh:

Damien666 (up north)
4 hours ago, Jake1991 said:

It dose tend to pull to the left when the abs kicks in so I was thinking front right problem possibly. Only the ohms resistance seemed consistent when we spun the wheel

If it pulls to left, then surely a problem on left side? As said a dodgy abs ring or maybe sensor wire.

caliper piston sticking?

Shifty

I had a similar problem on the Scooby and it turned out to be a dirty abs sensor electrical connector on one of the front wheels. Quick squirt of brake cleaner and a smear of vaseline and it was all good.