Hilux Pickup Owners Club & Online Community
Sign in to follow this  
Danielux_MK5

Ahhh man....my ball joints have defeated me! I need help.

Danielux_MK5

Hey folks,

I took my truck down to my mates garage today with some newly ordered ball joints, a ball joint splitter and separator. We have tried jacking the whole truck on the thread, smashing the shit out of it with a sledge hammer, jacking in between both wishbones, smashing the shit out of it more and it won't even budge. The ball joint splitter snapped under the pressure and the separator had no effect either. I am now stuck. Apart from maybe heating it up which I don't have access to myself, can anyone help. I am based in Derby. I am so fucked off with working on this truck. Something like this should be straight forward but it is never the case with this rusty turd.

Thanks.

swampdog

Don't know what splitter you're using but you need a fork one you hit with a hammer. 

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/tools/car-service-tools/hub-and-suspension-tools/ball-joint-tools/?553773590&0&t5_432

Edited by JasXPear

Danielux_MK5

I've tried it. It just bent open the fork splitter lol.

scottie

Can you borrow a MAP GAS torch ? 

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p71324?r=googleshopping&rr=marin&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzcbWBRDmARIsAM6uChWHvz4IKQ_D9ZQtWbkTz0H6bmPz3hUqtercqnypGOeP9FtRTXf3Y5kaArIdEALw_wcB

Just need a tad of warming . Be surprised how long one cylinder works for :thumbsup:. And how often you will use it . Best BBQ lighter there is as well 

My debi uses it in the kitchen as a proper chefs blow torch too .

Every time I want to borrow it cause I`m too lazy to get out the gas axe. I have to clean it spotless  

Shifty
swampdog
50 minutes ago, Danielux_MK5 said:

I've tried it. It just bent open the fork splitter lol.

Then it's too small.get one the next size up

Deadly Dave

A hot air gun for the win. €25 in most diy stores.

lew67

Heat should do it as already said or if its truly rotten maybe new wishbones but they aint cheap £90 each from roughtrax or £240 each from Toyota. 

lastofthev8s

Is it too or bottom you're replacing? I've got a good pair of top wishbones here from my old 4runner, they still have most of their original paint and they have fairly new ball joints in them. £45 delivered, I could have them to you Tuesday if they're any use. 

• Like 1

Darren Thompson mk5

If mine have been hard in the past, I’ve cleaned all round them with a wire brush banged the hub all around where the ball joint goes through ( not the ball joint ) this seems to help free it..

then soaked it in wd 40 and tried getting it off a couple of hours later. 

I bought a ball joint splitter after a while and have never had that problem again. 

Danielux_MK5

Guys, thanks for the ideas. I will give the heating a go and a good smash with the hammer. The wishbones are fine and there is rust, but surface rust. The bolt and split pin came off with no issues. Will the heat weaken anything at all?

Jamie1131

I used the Vortex mapp gas torch when working on my old range rover. You'll need to get it very very hot so hold the torch on it a good long while. when you think you've held it there long enough add another five minutes!

Just be bloody careful not to swing it anywhere near any rubber components because it will f**k them up instantly. 

Danielux_MK5

Awesome, will order the Vortex! My mate who helps me with the hilux, since he has a lot of the tools I use, has a MK1 range rover and he hates me asking for his help on the lux. Always goes on about how shit they are to work on compared with the RR. You should of see his face when we were trying to get the ball joint removed

!!:roflmao:

Sparks
8 minutes ago, Danielux_MK5 said:

Awesome, will order the Vortex! My mate who helps me with the hilux, since he has a lot of the tools I use, has a MK1 range rover and he hates me asking for his help on the lux. Always goes on about how shit they are to work on compared with the RR. You should of see his face when we were trying to get the ball joint removed

Good luck getting it parted Mister, i take it you have acquired a descent size splitter to hammer in the gap, once it's heated up ;)

Deadly Dave
1 hour ago, Danielux_MK5 said:

That's because his RR is stripped every month. The Lux has probably not been fixed in years.

• Like 1

Sparks
23 minutes ago, Danielux_MK5 said:

Not yet, but will do. The one I used just opened up and was the largest one I could fit on. This is the one I used https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cht118-tie-rodball-joint-splitter-set/

I won't be buying that again.

This is the one i have, had it for years and never had a problem with it, nice and simple i usually use a lump hammer on mine :thumbsup:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cht221-ball-joint-separator/

Danielux_MK5

that's wide enough to fit through the tapered thread, right?

Sparks
2 hours ago, Danielux_MK5 said:

that's wide enough to fit through the tapered thread, right?

:thumbsup: yes to big for the track rods without ripping the rubbers, it is a 20mm gap so wider than the taper stud  

BruceK

I've got one similar to Sparks's. 'Had it so long I've forgotten where I bought it now. It's pretty good but the forks are a bit narrow for some jobs.

1) Heat

2) Hold a candle up against it and let the melted wax run into the joint

3) Insert ball joint separator

4) Whack it 

5) Whack it again

6) If 5 fails swear at it & go back to the beginning

:thumbsup:

Shifty

Don't forget that when peeps mention heat they mean it needs to be proper hot not just warmed up.  Ideally you need to be seeing at least cherry red if not orange / yellow for it to have any real effect.  It's the differing expansion in the metals that breaks the joint so the quicker you can get the heat into the joint the better. An acetylene torch is the preferred option but with patience a mapp gas torch can be nearly as effective - it just takes a bit longer.

Danielux_MK5

Thanks for the top info guys! I'm busy for the next few weeks so will make a start then and give you an update of my situation. Will be interesting.:roflmao:

Sparks
38 minutes ago, Danielux_MK5 said:

Thanks for the top info guys! I'm busy for the next few weeks so will make a start then and give you an update of my situation. Will be interesting.:roflmao:

Dam your going to make us wait a couple of weeks :ahh: how could you ;) still i hope it works out ok 

Danielux_MK5

Dude, my truck works everyday at the moment and I'm going away next week for holiday so I have no choice. When the truck rests, it makes me no money :thumbsup:

• Like 1