doubletap

Mk 3 Dash Board Lights

doubletap

Hi, the lights which illuminate the gauge block have just gone out. Fuse in drivers foot well is OK, pulled out the gauge block and all bulbs are ok. Checked the engine bay fuse box and all looked OK. Any ideas?

Sparks
1 hour ago, doubletap said:

Hi, the lights which illuminate the gauge block have just gone out. Fuse in drivers foot well is OK, pulled out the gauge block and all bulbs are ok. Checked the engine bay fuse box and all looked OK. Any ideas?

If the lamp in the heater controls still work, you need to check the printed circuit for any breaks or burn marks, also check the plug where it plugs into the block, they can suffer with damp getting in the printed circuit board over the years  

doubletap

Sparks, the heater control lamp is out too but that light hasn't worked for ages. I did check for breaks and burns on the printed circuit but looked OK.

Sparks
1 hour ago, doubletap said:

Sparks, the heater control lamp is out too but that light hasn't worked for ages. I did check for breaks and burns on the printed circuit but looked OK.

Does the clock go dim when you put the lights on then ?

doubletap

...  good point, no the clock stays bright

Sparks
9 hours ago, doubletap said:

...  good point, no the clock stays bright

And all the outside lights work, as in side/tail and reg plate etc ?

PS just been looking through the wiring diagram and it looks like it's fed from the dim-dip relay,so loads of connectors to check on route , hope this helps :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

doubletap

thank you so much Sparks, all the other lights work. I'll have a look at the relays and wiring. Many thanks, Spud.

Sparks
13 minutes ago, doubletap said:

thank you so much Sparks, all the other lights work. I'll have a look at the relays and wiring. Many thanks, Spud.

Looking through the diagram they are all linked, including the stereo/fag lighter/glove box light if you have one, as well as any of the switch's that have a lamp fitted and the above etc    

doubletap

................ looks like the rear lights, number plate light and brake lights aren't working either and I'm guessing they haven't been working since the dashboard lights and heater light and the headlight warning alarm failed. Indicators and headlight and beam work

Sparks
5 hours ago, doubletap said:

................ looks like the rear lights, number plate light and brake lights aren't working either and I'm guessing they haven't been working since the dashboard lights and heater light and the headlight warning alarm failed. Indicators and headlight and beam work

You best check the fuses again then, also have you got a tow bar with socket, worth checking all that is ok as well, i will pop tomorrow AM to see where your at, if you have had a look :thumbsup:

• Upvote 1

doubletap

Hi, doubled checked the fuses, changed them with tested ones, and yes, one 10a which looked good wasn't, the one in the foot-well marked 'TAIL' was the bad'en! Then my dashboard lights and tails lights came on. Marvellous - teach me to rip down the dash board without thoroughly double checking all fuses. Thanks fpr all your help Sparks much appreciated.

• Like 1

lastofthev8s

Well sussed mitch! :thumbsup:

Sparks
24 minutes ago, doubletap said:

Hi, doubled checked the fuses, changed them with tested ones, and yes, one 10a which looked good wasn't, the one in the foot-well marked 'TAIL' was the bad'en! Then my dashboard lights and tails lights came on. Marvellous - teach me to rip down the dash board without thoroughly double checking all fuses. Thanks fpr all your help Sparks much appreciated.

Every day is a school day Mister, glad it turned out to be an easy fix in the end :thumbsup: 

5 minutes ago, lastofthev8s said:

Well sussed mitch! :thumbsup:

Nice feeling when you get it right, so thanks :thumbsup: