Sign in to follow this  
jimjam

MK4 Timing belt replacement kit. Where from and what else?

jimjam

Apologies, I'm sure this has already been covered but I've been out of the loop for a few years and the search didn't throw up exactly what I need. Anyway, for peace of mind I'd like to order a new timing belt and assorted gubbins for my 2001 mk4 double cab. Back when I had MK 3 trucks everyone recommended buying a new water pump as it was essentially part of the same job...I assume the mk4 is the same.

Also, is roughtrax still the go to supplier for aftermarket Hilux parts? I see they offer a genuine Toyota kit and a Gates kit. I guess you only know if you break one but is anyone aware of any issues with the Gates belt kit?

Any other fiddly little bits I should have the mechanic replace while he's in there?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel.

Gates belts are as good as any,. Personally if the pump is not leaking then i would not change it, but it depends what miles you are on 

jimjam

120k allegedly. Temps seem to sit bang on and I can't see it losing any water, any other signs would I notice?

Sparks
4 minutes ago, jimjam said:

120k allegedly. Temps seem to sit bang on and I can't see it losing any water, any other signs would I notice?

If it's a keeper then Toyota belt as said i would do the water pump only if it looks like there is a weep or there is play on the shaft, or if the rad isn't nice and clean under the cap, when removed, but at that mileage and while your in there, you may as well i guess, all for piece of mind :thumbsup:

jimjam

I'll be getting someone else to fit it - is it a big or time consuming job to fit the water pump when you're in there already?

Sparks
2 minutes ago, jimjam said:

I'll be getting someone else to fit it - is it a big or time consuming job to fit the water pump when you're in there already?

Not at all that's why it's a while your in there job, also it is the same as the MK3 it's still a 2L engine 

• Like 1

jimjam

Right. Many thanks. I suspected it was similar but with the addition of the turbo I didn't know if the plumbing might have changed in some way. Suppose I should order a new gasket while I'm at it.

Owner said he had it done at the correct interval but no receipt, no markings on the rad and the light is on. I actually trust that he was a somewhat festidious type when it comes to servicing, but without evidence..... :unsure:

Sparks
4 minutes ago, jimjam said:

Right. Many thanks. New it was similar but with the addition of the turbo I didn't know if the plumbing might have changed in some way. Suppose I should order a new gasket while I'm at it.

Owner said he had it done at the correct interval but no receipt, no markings on the rad and the light is on. I actually trust that he was a somewhat festidious type when it comes to servicing, but without evidence..... :unsure:

Don't blame you at all, easily done on the miss it front if he had more than one motor as well, it is anoying though when you even get a sticker to put  in the engine bay somewhere ;)

jimjam

Update: got the truck done today. I asked the mechanic to keep the old bits for me......seems the guy was telling the truth. Belt looks clean, bearings in the pulleys are silky smooth - no way they've done 120,000 miles. FFS why would you do that and not turn the light off or keep the receipts for the parts or even just make a note somewhere in the engine bay.

I'm reminding myself that it was worth the price for peace of mind but still. Thanks again for the advice.

Sparks
13 minutes ago, jimjam said:

Update: got the truck done today. I asked the mechanic to keep the old bits for me......seems the guy was telling the truth. Belt looks clean, bearings in the pulleys are silky smooth - no way they've done 120,000 miles. FFS why would you do that and not turn the light off or keep the receipts for the parts or even just make a note somewhere in the engine bay.

I'm reminding myself that it was worth the price for peace of mind but still. Thanks again for the advice.

At least you know now :thumbsup: and as you say you would of thought it would be a selling point :huh: so have you put the cambelt sticker somewhere for all to see in the future 

harrythehilux

The light in mine is on too. From what I understand it's a pain in the arse dash off job to reset it... 

lastofthev8s
9 hours ago, harrythehilux said:

The light in mine is on too. From what I understand it's a pain in the arse dash off job to reset it... 

Mk3 style is just a case of pulling the rubber bung out of the dash lense and pushing the button in, are mk4 different? 

Daniel.

Mk4 you need to take the clock out and swap a screw, Not a bad job tho

Sparks
56 minutes ago, lastofthev8s said:

Mk3 style is just a case of pulling the rubber bung out of the dash lense and pushing the button in, are mk4 different? 

On the MK4/5 that does the oil change light 

harrythehilux
22 hours ago, lastofthev8s said:

Yes apparently so Paddy.... 

22 hours ago, Daniel. said:

Mk4 you need to take the clock out and swap a screw, Not a bad job tho

You got any details on how at all Daniel? 

scottie

My MK5 just tipped over the 200,000 mile marker and the Cam belt light not come on .

It works as it glows when I turn on the ignition on and I have done the belt as soon as I got it .

But I thought the light should have come on by now as I was waiting for it to light up pre rip the dash out and change all the bulbs for LED ones

harrythehilux
5 minutes ago, scottie said:

My MK5 just tipped over the 200,000 mile marker and the Cam belt light not come on .

It works as it glows when I turn on the ignition on and I have done the belt as soon as I got it .

But I thought the light should have come on by now as I was waiting for it to light up pre rip the dash out and change all the bulbs for LED ones

I'm on 202k too Scottie... 

Do the replacement led's need to be soldered on or just plug in? 

scottie

Just replacement bulbs by the looks of it  Not even looked yet I was waiting for the light to come on before I go digging deep in the under-verse 

Looking at this MK5 dash I have here Speedo cable!!!! OH now I know where my noise is coming from. Clock set out next week I better order some bulbs 

And any body got a picture of what we swap over to reset the cam belt light ? 

Sparks
14 minutes ago, scottie said:

Just replacement bulbs by the looks of it  Not even looked yet I was waiting for the light to come on before I go digging deep in the under-verse 

Looking at this MK5 dash I have here Speedo cable!!!! OH now I know where my noise is coming from. Clock set out next week I better order some bulbs 

And any body got a picture of what we swap over to reset the cam belt light ? 

Sure it's this one, but you can't do it till the light is on, sure someone did there's before the light came on ad a few K's down the line, the light came on anyway so had to re-do it

picture%5C261255175242.jpg 

scottie

Funny that as it looks nothing like the MK 5 dash I have here . Good old toyota :lol: 

257mz3o.jpg 

I would assume you jump the wire top to bottom 

Rog

Don't touch the wire Scottie...you take the screw out and put it in the hole marked with the arrow to the right....the screw makes a different circuit on the board...also be careful putting the speedo cable back in...it's easy to not get the cable in properly and cross thread the nut because there's no room in there...good luck.

scottie
3 minutes ago, Rog said:

Don't touch the wire Scottie...you take the screw out and put it in the hole marked with the arrow to the right....the screw makes a different circuit on the board...also be careful putting the speedo cable back in...it's easy to not get the cable in properly and cross thread the nut because there's no room in there...good luck.

What screw ? what arrow? Rog ?

Hey this is a spare clock set I have and it`s mighty pretty NOT :lol: Won`t be going in mine thats for sure 

2qk8ewx.jpg

Mind you it might poxy thing is full of diesel by the look of it :lol: 

Rog

Sorry I was referring to the picture of the clock that Mitch put up above.

Sparks
38 minutes ago, scottie said:

Funny that as it looks nothing like the MK 5 dash I have here . Good old toyota :lol: 

257mz3o.jpg 

I would assume you jump the wire top to bottom 

On yours it looks like you un-plug the plug next to the speedo drive and put it back in next to it, or move the end of the black wire down to the other screw head, i will have a look, non of my books cover this and i can't find anything that covers the clocks you have in the pic, there must be someone that has done it on one like yours    

trevorjl

Sparks is correct you pull the plug just to the left of the speedo cable and move it up into the empty space above

• Like 1