Chris Bryant

4x4 system explained

Chris Bryant
38 minutes ago, moggy1968 said:

This from a road test by car products tested

'Further to that, to get you toasty warm quicker in winter time, the Hilux features a Power Heat system. Push the button, and the Toyota’s revs rise to around 1,200 rpm, and warm air comes out the vents almost immediately. Apparently heater elements within the system provide warm air quicker than the car, and the higher revs also help heat the engine up quicker too. Brilliant bit of kit, and those of you working outside all day will appreciate this bit of tech. For summer, there’s air conditioning and all-electric windows.'

Mine doesn't get warm immediately. But I'm sure it's quicker than normal, and means I don't need to prop the throttle.!!

I did test mine this morning in D and R, and definitely still revs, trying to move the vehicle.

damian666
1 hour ago, moggy1968 said:

I think your confusing VSC with TRC

Nope, not at all. They both work in similar ways although the VSC arrangement can also reduce engine revs if it chooses to and use the accelerometer as well as wheel speed sensors whereas the TC is monitoring the wheel speed sensors as only primary input.

1 hour ago, moggy1968 said:

managed to find a similar thread from a while back that explains how to manually disconnect VSC and stop the engine cutting back using the dash mounted button. It does reactivate though I think at 30mph

Indeed, sure I mentioned that somewhere too! Other ways exist that don't switch back on too though is you really want to get involved with the wiring!

Wolfracer

I reckon the "power heat" button (as described in the handbook) purely increases the engine rpm. However, as a direct result of that, the engine heats up the coolant quicker and most importantly the pump is operating faster, so pushes more heated fluids through the heater matrix at a higher rate, effectively boosting the heating effect. 

Fancy words for idle up methinks.

Mine certainly doesn't "heat up almost immediately"

And no one, EVER, has discovered this mythological in line heater powered by fairy dust, diesel or even good old 12V battery power....

JasXPear
1 hour ago, Wolfracer said:

And no one, EVER, has discovered this mythological in line heater powered by fairy dust, diesel or even good old 12V battery power....

Chris Bryant
23 minutes ago, JasXPear said:

I've never had the settings correct on the car based on that. So heat up full, blower up full, AC off.

I'll try that and see.

Mhan54
39 minutes ago, Chris Bryant said:

I've never had the settings correct on the car based on that. So heat up full, blower up full, AC off.

I'll try that and see.

It definitely works, if I switch it on there’s warm air coming from the vents after about a mile starting from cold. It takes a lot longer without pwr heat switched on. And it can’t be anything to do with higher engine revs heating the coolant quicker as the revs are back to normal when in gear.

• Like 1