Jump to content
Mhan54

Mk6 timing belt

Recommended Posts

Mhan54

Hi all, after reading through hundreds of posts on here it’s obvious to me that there are some very knowledgeable and helpful people using this forum, so I thought I’d ask for opinions on my timing belt. My hilux has done 38k miles now and the service book says to change at 100k but it’s coming up to 10 years old in a couple of months. Should I consider changing it now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Onion

Its a cheap job to get done. Mine was 200 ish supply and fit. For peace of mind,get it done. Onion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mhan54

Thanks for the reply, I read in the service book change at 100k but no time limit like most of the other service intervals have so not sure. It certainly looks to be a lot easier to do than timing belts I’ve done before so I would have no problem having a go at it myself. I notice that the crankshaft is not involved with the T-belt. 

Out of curiosity does anyone know why the fuel pump is timed on a common rail Diesel engine? The only reason I can think of is to time the camshaft as the pump is directly driven from the crank but I’d be interested to know.

Edited by Mhan54
Font size

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daniel.

Pump is chain driven from the crank, Then the cam is belt driven from the pump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mhan54

Don’t know why my last post has big letters. Anyway thanks Daniel for your reply. I understand what you say but my point is does the fuel pump need to be timed or is it just a means of timing the camshaft?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DORMAN12Q

Just had mine done at the main dealers today £125. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daniel.
51 minutes ago, Mhan54 said:

Don’t know why my last post has big letters. Anyway thanks Daniel for your reply. I understand what you say but my point is does the fuel pump need to be timed or is it just a means of timing the camshaft?

Dose not need to be timed like the old mechanical pumps, just how they made it. This is one of the easiest belts iv ever changed, can be done in 15 minutes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sparks
51 minutes ago, Mhan54 said:

Don’t know why my last post has big letters. Anyway thanks Daniel for your reply. I understand what you say but my point is does the fuel pump need to be timed or is it just a means of timing the camshaft?

I did mine at 12 years with just over 40k on the clock, it still looked like new but handy to check for leaks etc, while your in there :thumbsup:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mhan54
10 hours ago, DORMAN12Q said:

Just had mine done at the main dealers today £125. 

Sounds very good does that include parts

10 hours ago, Daniel. said:

Dose not need to be timed like the old mechanical pumps, just how they made it. This is one of the easiest belts iv ever changed, can be done in 15 minutes

Thanks Daniel, you’ve confirmed what I was thinking 

10 hours ago, Sparks said:

I did mine at 12 years with just over 40k on the clock, it still looked like new but handy to check for leaks etc, while your in there :thumbsup:

 

 

From water pump? You were in same position as me then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DORMAN12Q

£125 all in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sparks
On 12/7/2017 at 08:05, Mhan54 said:

From water pump? You were in same position as me then.

Just a visual to see if it has been weeping is all and yes been there, i did mine early this year replacing with genuine :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mhan54
10 hours ago, Sparks said:

Just a visual to see if it has been weeping is all and yes been there, i did mine early this year replacing with genuine :thumbsup:

Thanks, I’ll certainly be having a look around when I get to do it, not an urgent matter, so I’ll wait for better weather.

I’ve done a bit of research and it seems that there are two types of water pumps, either a two piece which is straight forward or a single unit which involves alt, a/c compressor and cam pulley removal. Do you know when they changed to the two piece, mine’s a 3.0 L first registered Jan 2008.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sparks
7 hours ago, Mhan54 said:

Thanks, I’ll certainly be having a look around when I get to do it, not an urgent matter, so I’ll wait for better weather.

I’ve done a bit of research and it seems that there are two types of water pumps, either a two piece which is straight forward or a single unit which involves alt, a/c compressor and cam pulley removal. Do you know when they changed to the two piece, mine’s a 3.0 L first registered Jan 2008.

To be honest  at the mileage yours has done,i doubt it will need doing just worth looking at, things like water pumps i don't change unless there is a problem, i know mine has always been filled with the proper coolant and is like new internally in the waterways so i left mine with no weeps etc :thumbsup: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mhan54
58 minutes ago, Sparks said:

To be honest  at the mileage yours has done,i doubt it will need doing just worth looking at, things like water pumps i don't change unless there is a problem, i know mine has always been filled with the proper coolant and is like new internally in the waterways so i left mine with no weeps etc :thumbsup: 

Thanks for that, but your advice is still sound. I’m pretty sure I’d have noticed a leak but you’d still have a check whilst in there :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wolfracer

Agree to leave well alone. Look for the candyfloss pink or whiteish sugary stains.

Even if it is leaking they lose very little over a very long time. But worth knowing...

Did all mine inc.a new rad as there were leaks all over at 70 odd k miles. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mhan54

Cheers for that :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×