DPyott

Hilux Invincible Shuddering When Setting Off From Cold

DPyott

Hi, I've got a 2012 (62 plate) Hilux Invincible, just over 64k miles on the clock. A problem I've had for a while is now getting worse. Basically when I first use the vehicle more often than not there is a shudder which is sometimes quite severe. To explain it the best  I can, its as though the clutch plates are bouncing off each other until they finally grip. Once I've done a few miles it seems to go away. I've had 3 mechanics now look at it and they cant find the problem. Has anyone else had this and if so any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Mang thanks. D. 

JasXPear

Had this with every one i've had mate, a mk3, a couple of m5s and a mk6.  First was on a mk5 and i got the dealer to swap the clutch. It improved but didnt cure it. 

Drive a couple of miles and it warms up/dries out and stops doing it?

I've come to the conclusion that its condensation of something forming on the plates so they slip a bit when cold/damp. My current mk5 does it and its a pain in the arse but i dont think its a problem. More revs slip it more and put up with it. Or buy an auto.

I had a manual 5 series bmw and that did it too and the wife had an ix35 and that did it so i sont think its just Hilux related. I'm guessing its cos the material used has to be less hazardous/kinder to orangatangs or something and consequently not as good as it used to be.

• Like 1

Daniel.

My mk5 dose it, i find if i do some fully loaded hill starts it will cure it for a while

DPyott
1 minute ago, JasXPear said:

Had this with every one i've had mate, a mk3, a couple of m5s and a mk6.  First was on a mk5 and i got the dealer to swap the clutch. It improved but didnt cure it. 

Drive a couple of miles and it warms up/dries out and stops doing it?

I've come to the conclusion that its condensation of something forming on the plates so they slip a bit when cold/damp. My current mk5 does it and its a pain in the arse but i dont think its a problem. More revs slip it more and put up with it. Or buy an auto.

I had a manual 5 series bmw and that did it too and the wife had an ix35 and that did it so i sont think its just Hilux related. I'm guessing its cos the material used has to be less hazardous/kinder to orangatangs or something and consequently not as good as it used to be.

Thanks for your input. It ounds like you say, condensation or something. It definitely does it more on colder or damp days so it figures. My old one did the same but not as severe as this but this is the 3L so more power to cause the shudder I suppose. I personally like manuals, I suppose I'm a bit of a control freak where I like to be the one who decides what gear I need lol. I'd thought about riding the clutch a bit when i first start off but it could be counter productive in shortening the life of the clutch. I'll see how it goes. Thanks again. D.  

5 minutes ago, Daniel. said:

My mk5 dose it, i find if i do some fully loaded hill starts it will cure it for a while

Definitely sounds like the same problem,  as Jas says it's like a film of something forms on the clutch plates that goes after a while. Usually 1 or 2 miles and it stops it for the day. Was thinking about throwing a new clutch in to see if that cured it  but it's sounding like a common problem and as my mechanic says if it's working don't fix it! When it becomes a problem rather than a nuisance we will go down that road. At least I have an honest mechanic! Thanks for your input. D 

Deadly Dave

My Mk3 and 5 are the same

Try greasing the clutch release arm pivot. It cures it but the grease doesn't last very long.

DPyott
12 minutes ago, Deadly Dave said:

My Mk3 and 5 are the same

Try greasing the clutch release arm pivot. It cures it but the grease doesn't last very long.

Thanks, I'll have a look at that, would copper slip work better than grease if grease don't last long? 

Deadly Dave

I've tried that too.

Wolfracer

Nowt wrong with the auto in a 3.0. I wouldn't go back to a manual. You learn when it will kick down so can control the gears in that way. Plus no clutch to burn out or judder ;)

Gears and a clutch are deffo more manly though :thumbsup:

Onion

Gears are for queers. Just my input, 

• Downvote 1

Deadly Dave
50 minutes ago, Onion said:

Gears are for queers. Just my input, 

Auto boxes have gears too :D

Shifty
32 minutes ago, Deadly Dave said:

Auto boxes have gears too :D

And clutches ! :thumbsup:

Diggerrus

My mk7 does it too. All this talk about gears for queers etc, as autos have them too does that mean autos are bi?

• Haha 1

Deadly Dave

Who was it that said they removed a damper on the slave cylinder and that solved the problem ??

trevorjl

My Mk5 has always done this for what it's worth I think its rust forming on the flywheel overnight just like you get on brake discs

• Like 1

tonyh

My Mk 5 used to develop this every 2or 3 years,  it was usually a UJ on the prop shaft. Sometimes it was the centre bearing. A change to a one piece prop shaft sorted it.

I can't remember where I got it from, 4x4 Steve recommended them. Excellent company.

Luxxy

My Mk7 with 35k on it used to do this - until yesterday. It may not be the answer to ever symptom, but I simply put the vacuum bleed on the slave cylinder and bled some fluid out of it. It now doesn't judder or 'bounce' when doing hill starts etc.  I did the same all round on the brakes to freshen them up and they're significantly sharper too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Shifty
1 hour ago, Luxxy said:

My Mk7 with 35k on it used to do this - until yesterday. It may not be the answer to ever symptom, but I simply put the vacuum bleed on the slave cylinder and bled some fluid out of it. It now doesn't judder or 'bounce' when doing hill starts etc.  I did the same all round on the brakes to freshen them up and they're significantly sharper too.

It's good practice to flush the hydraulics every two or three years as old fluid does absorb water which leads to inefficiencies in the system.

As an aside I seem to recall that in Cuba during the embargo years they had to use shampoo as brake fluid :drive1:

DPyott
6 hours ago, Luxxy said:

Thanks for the tip. It’s due for its next service once I’m back from Ireland so I’ll get the guys to do a full hydraulic system flush. As someone else has pointed out, hydraulic fluid is hygroscopic so it’s probably a good idea to do this anyway. I’ve been on the road all over for the past few weeks and it’s not done it so I’m still thinking it’s more like surface rust on the plates as it’s more noticeable when I’ts been stood for a few days. Also I’ve been slightly riding the clutch a little when first setting off and that seems to have reduced the shuddering. Thanks for all your comments, sounds like it’s not just me who’s had this issue so it’s not as worrying as I initially thought. Still weird though! D. 

Luxxy

Been a different car today. I recently posted about how it struggled on things like car park ramps where I had to ride the clutch to stop it from stalling. Completely cured. Gear change more positive as are hill starts.  Chucked 5 bags of sand in the back today in anticipation of snow, just to hold the back end down a bit. Been a nicer car to drive and much more positive on roundabouts.

andycook

A transformational fix then, nice one !

Deadly Dave
10 hours ago, Shifty said:

As an aside I seem to recall that in Cuba during the embargo years they had to use shampoo as brake fluid :drive1:

:roflmao:. I suppose it would keep everything nice and clean too.

Head n shoulders?