Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Simmo50

My MK4 Single Cab refurb/tidy up diary

Recommended Posts

Simmo50

Last night I just started prepping the ladder lugs ready to go on when the trucks back from the welders.

 

large.IMG_2764.JPG.03037744bc2b45a1beb0eed302b89198.JPGlarge.IMG_2765.JPG.466410f7c573e119e3cba7caff0ce6b7.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Simmo50

I'll start on the 'green' paint later tonight!

One other thing, I've eventually received back the V5 from Swansea in my name after two months! I had to apply for it as I'd not received it after a month after buying the truck? I was able to tax it with the green slip but never had the official document sent back to me............

Looking back after Paying 'CASH' and getting a hand written scribbled receipt I suppose it all seemed a bit dodgy but it's all come out ok now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sparks
13 hours ago, Simmo50 said:

I'll start on the 'green' paint later tonight!

One other thing, I've eventually received back the V5 from Swansea in my name after two months! I had to apply for it as I'd not received it after a month after buying the truck? I was able to tax it with the green slip but never had the official document sent back to me............

Looking back after Paying 'CASH' and getting a hand written scribbled receipt I suppose it all seemed a bit dodgy but it's all come out ok now. 

Good to know that is sorted now then :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Simmo50

They now have the green on!

Plus some lacquer so ready to go back on when the trucks back.  

 

large.IMG_2766.JPG.a2e664c980bfd205140646d964dc8546.JPGlarge.IMG_2767.JPG.fae2e1e62490d4598d81be64e07c1386.JPGlarge.IMG_2768.JPG.8525a76b842e13c0c93c4e7706627c04.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Simmo50

The welders been back in touch saying two short brake pipes behind the fuel tank that are fixed to the chassis really need sorting so once his finished the welding repairs tomorrow he won't now re-fit the fuel tank.

My local garage are going to collect the Hilux on a car trailer next week from him and then start on the front suspension, exhaust system, brake pipes, belt etc so hopefully everything will be sorted before Christmas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sparks
6 hours ago, Simmo50 said:

The welders been back in touch saying two short brake pipes behind the fuel tank that are fixed to the chassis really need sorting so once his finished the welding repairs tomorrow he won't now re-fit the fuel tank.

My local garage are going to collect the Hilux on a car trailer next week from him and then start on the front suspension, exhaust system, brake pipes, belt etc so hopefully everything will be sorted before Christmas.

It will be good for a few years then :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Downskate

loving the posts Simmo50.

looking at doing with my mk3 so far....except the empty pockets that prevent it. but hey nice to know there's a rough guide here when I can afford it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Simmo50

Certainly need a bit of cash with these older versions Downskate. I’ve Blown the budget already after thinking £1500 would sort it but as things get done more and more bits need doing...........

Most of the parts are reasonably priced though and after selling a Rangerover Sport I’ve had the cash to get things done pretty quickly. if you can do a lot of jobs yourself you probably save around 50% on what I’ll end up spending I guess................

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Simmo50

Welders all finished now and truck is now at the garage where they are starting all the other jobs.............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scottie
2 hours ago, Simmo50 said:

Welders all finished now and truck is now at the garage where they are starting all the other jobs.............

So where are all the pictures? We all love pix good bad and ugly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Simmo50
5 hours ago, scottie said:

So where are all the pictures? We all love pix good bad and ugly 

Well it’s now at the garage near my office so I’ll try and grab a few pictures while it’s up on the ramp tomorrow. I hope there is something to see as the welding just cost me £600 cash!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sparks
22 minutes ago, Simmo50 said:

Well it’s now at the garage near my office so I’ll try and grab a few pictures while it’s up on the ramp tomorrow. I hope there is something to see as the welding just cost me £600 cash!

Be nice to see what you get for your 600 notes and we do like a pic or two :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
topcat7

:ahh: £600 wowsers simmo ide  want a to make a new chassis for that ..I really hope he's done a grand job mate ..that's what I've said all along plenty of trucks for sale out there that look the part on top bullshitted up and poked out ..sorry it winds me up your not telling me the seller didn't know any of this ....yeh right :censored:..i know you didn't pay dear ...but by the time your finished ..your gonna be up around what £5.5 k plus ...I'm probably going to sell my green landcruiser tubbed one after Xmas that's a propper sorted truck .with a perfect chassis ..new tub .rebuilt suspention ..rebuilt front hubs ..a stonker ..I though ide keep the crew cab for a while .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jules70
20 minutes ago, topcat7 said:

:ahh: £600 wowsers simmo ide  want a to make a new chassis for that ..I really hope he's done a grand job mate ..that's what I've said all along plenty of trucks for sale out there that look the part on top bullshitted up and poked out ..sorry it winds me up your not telling me the seller didn't know any of this ....yeh right :censored:..i know you didn't pay dear ...but by the time your finished ..your gonna be up around what £5.5 k plus ...I'm probably going to sell my green landcruiser tubbed one after Xmas that's a propper sorted truck .with a perfect chassis ..new tub .rebuilt suspention ..rebuilt front hubs ..a stonker ..I though ide keep the crew cab for a while .

:(

Perhaps you can do us a good deal on the green one instead ! :tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
topcat7

Green one won't be cheap I'm thinking it out now around £6999 ....with a view to reducing if they don't want the leather bench seat I have the original perfect seats £400 off if they want the origonal ones back in ..don't know really still thinking it over .just don't need 2 hilux and I have the 1940s 1950s early Ford truck itch I want to scratch ...looking at one Friday I've seen a couple but yet to pull the trigger ..I don't wanted a fresh painted truck I want that period patina :notworthy:..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jules70
20 hours ago, topcat7 said:

Green one won't be cheap I'm thinking it out now around £6999 ....with a view to reducing if they don't want the leather bench seat I have the original perfect seats £400 off if they want the origonal ones back in ..don't know really still thinking it over .just don't need 2 hilux and I have the 1940s 1950s early Ford truck itch I want to scratch ...looking at one Friday I've seen a couple but yet to pull the trigger ..I don't wanted a fresh painted truck I want that period patina :notworthy:..

Good luck on Friday. See a lot of older trucks being restored/customised on all the American garage programs on Sky. Surprises me the number they keep finding in the back of barns etc out there. Not a lover myself of them but do like the original look / patina they leave on some.

Have you thought TC of doing a Mike Brewer and importing one in ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
topcat7

I'm still thinking of that route but I know a few people now that do this so I've basically put the word out origonal patina  is my must have flat head v8 only and the rest I will know when I see it ..I've put green hilux up for sale on forum only at present ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jules70
8 minutes ago, topcat7 said:

I'm still thinking of that route but I know a few people now that do this so I've basically put the word out origonal patina  is my must have flat head v8 only and the rest I will know when I see it ..I've put green hilux up for sale on forum only at present ...

Just been looking at it, I think being honest and with myself I would be frightened to use it for work - its to nice ! Really what im after is a mechanical sorted truck with a excellent condition chassis and underneath while topside the body doesn't have to be perfect (dents and knocks rather than rust !) + nothing newer than a mk4. Is it possible !?

ps sorry simmo to take your thread off track !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×