Sign in to follow this  
Simmo50

My MK4 Single Cab refurb/tidy up diary

Simmo50

Hi everyone

I’ve been on here a week or so and just thought I’d start my tread on a pickup single cab I bought about 3 weeks ago.

I paid 2.5k cash and the pictures below are how it was when I collected it after a 20 mile trip into the Suffolk countryside. I spotted it on eBay after searching for about a month. I made contact with the seller, viewed it, drove it & then parted with the cash. Got the Mrs to take me back out to collect it that evening and drove it back without any issues other than a tail light/stop light bulb that had blown. I’ve had it checked over at my local garage and although it looks good the suspention & chassis does need some work for next years MOT test. They changed the oil & filter, 2 new wiper blades, secured the rear loom that had dropped of its fixings and then gave me a list of suspension parts and welding that will need doing shortly.

I’m just in the process of ordering all the components but in the meantime just trying to tidy up a few areas when I get a chance.

large.s-l1600.jpg.057c63aa647b5f708a9a223377792d26.jpglarge.59e886177f057_s-l1600(5).jpg.ad777a548ca6f0526f90e22ae41775e4.jpglarge.59e8860d8bf8f_s-l1600(3).jpg.9961a7fcbb77149d752ede736589520e.jpglarge.59e8835888db3_s-l1600(1).jpg.8d9fa67e762389dabb95a0806589bf32.jpglarge.59e88301c0da7_s-l1600(4).jpg.9706d6eb4181beb2e6a9bafbc2676855.jpglarge.IMG_2681.JPG.304e92d18c13f3db6e6516dddb90d134.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sparks

Look forward to watching the progress on this one, thanks for starting a thread :thumbsup:

Deadly Dave

That looks tidy.

What are your plans? 

JasXPear

Nice looking truck :thumbsup:

Simmo50

First of all got to sort out all the suspension issues - one rear leaf spring has 5 leafs and the other side has 6 ! Apparently that should have been an MOT failure according to my local garage so going to be ordering a complete rear leaf spring set with full fitting kit and a couple of new shocks. 

large.IMG_2678.JPG.5ebb013df5f2599a88fb8fb410ca0d71.JPGlarge.IMG_2677.JPG.c6a64b9f33fd2af3a6746b4f146ed8b6.JPGlarge.IMG_2676.JPG.15bd82fb739ee9f8ae0281b372add6bc.JPGlarge.IMG_2675.JPG.1c668b243affbcc35940f3a2259dcfe9.JPG

Simmo50

So far I've fitted a new rear load cover, fitted 'TOYOTA' silver lettering to the tailgate, fitted 2 x waterproof seat covers and refurbished 2 rear steel wheels & the steel spare.

Also I've given it a good clean both inside & out and to be fair other than the normal wear on the drivers seat edge it's like brand new now inside.

The mileage is very low and the condition inside does reflect this but it does need money spending on it underneath...............   

large.IMG_2664.JPG.dd5d9b28c00e12bd633f21501f879c79.JPGlarge.IMG_2662.JPG.a73b81bce7e6d7aab448c6590cb99322.JPG

We have visitors this weekend so probably not going to do much more other than ordering a few parts on-line from Milners & Roughtrax

large.IMG_2660.JPG.ab5e8925f915c1808d7ee3aab35f33a6.JPGlarge.IMG_2686.JPG.6e60cbb543178f64f9dc022298f2d1a5.JPGlarge.IMG_2665.JPG.8be06091c36106255c29853f82a7b6eb.JPG.

• Like 2

Sparks

That does scrub up well in the cab area :thumbsup:

Simmo50

Just ordered the new rear leaf springs including fitting kit, 2 x lower U bolt seats & 2 x new rear shocks from Roughtrax and hope to get started on this later this week/over the weekend.

I'm going to have a go at fitting the new back end suspension myself before it goes in to garage to have the front sorted and the welding done in November - wish me luck !

I looked at the Milner leaf kit to that was a lot cheaper but after checking the reviews on the Roughtrax site I thought the quality looked much better and nobody seemed to have any issues fitting them so spent the extra money - hopefully it's worth it? 

topcat7

Hi for the extra cost greaceable shackles are worth doing at the same time ..on the chassis pics previous owner has had chassis undersealed did you have a prod around...?? I'm always suspicious on seeing that stuff 🤔..You will be fine fitting springs and shocks ..plenty of penetrating oil the rubber bushes tend to bind in ..I find a few choice words always help :thumbsup:...tc 

• Like 1

Simmo50

Hi - kit should come with shackles according to the description below:-

Kit contains:
2x Owens UK manufactured original design rear leaf springs to OE specification and spring rates fitted with original style metalastic front bushes.
8x Karsons Yellow Polyurethane leaf spring & chassis bushes - renowned for their quality, ride, and performance
2x Karsons Rear Greaseable spring pins - new design, 
2x Karsons Rear Greaseable spring shackles,
4x Karsons "U" bolts (x2 pairs).

The garage have checked the chassis and say a bit of welding is needed up behind the fuel tank and a bit at the front end but that’s all.

thanks for the info, I’m sure a few ‘choice’ words will ‘spring’ to mind as the job goes on!

topcat7

Perfect rough tracks kit ..I didn't not bother trying to undo u bolts angle grinder but they do go off with a bang 💥  😱..One other thing before you fit new springs!!  there are two small 10 mm headed bolts that hold in the shackle pins when you come to fit the new shackles you will find the 2 bolts in question in your new Ones don't quite line up with your holes in chassis put them in and you will see what I mean just mark with a felt tip were you need to file out (elongate with 1/4" round file ) in your new shackle pins I've done 3 lots always the same .do this before attempting to fit springs that way it's done ..plenty of grease on your bushes ..good luck tc 

Simmo50

Thanks for the info TC, the daily use of penetration spray will be starting tonight to try and free up all the nuts over the next few days to hopefully start pulling it apart by the weekend. 

JasXPear
1 hour ago, Simmo50 said:

Thanks for the info TC, the daily use of penetration spray will be starting tonight to try and free up all the nuts over the next few days to hopefully start pulling it apart by the weekend. 

Get something like 3 in 1 penetrating oil not wd40! :thumbsup:

Shifty
11 minutes ago, JasXPear said:

Get something like 3 in 1 penetrating oil not wd40! :thumbsup:

Diesel is also a good substitute.

Deadly Dave

Atf mixed with acetone was found to be the best. It strips paint too though. 

Simmo50

Here is the stuff I was recommended to use - PlusGas!

Given all the bolts their first soaking tonight.

large.IMG_2723.JPG.ec1478315fe08629f5b59fdc6b1035e1.JPGlarge.IMG_2719.JPG.30b37f719cc46ec2d86732468711d7df.JPGlarge.IMG_2718.JPG.0bc1eb27847113774708f2ae8ed08691.JPG

Had some goodies arrive today - just forgot to order the bump stops (as they are missing off the truck) but they are now on their way too!

Front end wishbones x 4 should be arriving from Milners tomorrow ready for the garage to fit with the welding next month.

large.IMG_2721.JPG.e125e3a5832b9663567f45bb47f934f6.JPGlarge.IMG_2715.JPG.e6df53608775109c0306c0c03c6845ac.JPG

JasXPear

Yep that stuffs the dogs too :thumbsup:

topcat7

Oh goody 👏 Mitch and I love a box full of new goodies ''tis like Xmas ....hope all goes to plan ..but that chassis does  look 👀 a bit  flakey though ☹️ .. while you have got the springs off and axle dropped and you have good access it would pay to get an angle grinder with wire wheel and go over the chassis in you haven't got time to get it painted slap a load of waxoil on it for now ..but that would be my priority to see what you have got ..tc 

Simmo50

Yes will definitely have a closer look at the chassis TC once the leaf springs are off and out the way & do what I can to preserve it for now.

Given all the pins & nuts another spray with the Plusgas when I got home, had my evening meal then managed to get them all to move/start undoing so that sounds promising rather than having to resort to cutting them off which I wanted to avoid if possible.

Also received my parcel from Milners this afternoon with the 4 x front wishbones - tops & bottoms for both sides so they can stay in the boxes for the time being.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sparks

Some nice goodies there Mister :thumbsup: by the looks of the axle etc it looks like you are going to catch it just in time, another couple of winters would of seen the end of some of the underneath :unsure: keep up the good work and the pics etc ;) 

topcat7
47 minutes ago, Simmo50 said:

Yes will definitely have a closer look at the chassis TC once the leaf springs are off and out the way & do what I can to preserve it for now.

Given all the pins & nuts another spray with the Plusgas when I got home, had my evening meal then managed to get them all to move/start undoing so that sounds promising rather than having to resort to cutting them off which I wanted to avoid if possible.

Also received my parcel from Milners this afternoon with the 4 x front wishbones - tops & bottoms for both sides so they can stay in the boxes for the time being.

All sounds good uve done right by getting the nuts to move your 1/2 way there simmo 😎 once you get into it you will have a great sense of satisfaction I guarantee ..nice to see pics I'm envious there as it's my nemesis ☹️..tc 

Simmo50

Had another go at it tonight, got all the nuts now undone a couple of turns and truck on the axle stands & safely blocked up.

Any advise from here on is very welcomed please. I won’t be able to free/undo the shocks from the bottom U bolt plates as these are just rusted up too much. So where’s the best place to start? Top shock bolts, U bolts or front or back leaf spring fixings? I have supported the axle from underneath ready to make a start on off side tomorrow evening. Over to you guys.......large.56150327-7624-4F1B-8F79-AAE489FB2485.jpeg.5c1e860aebea86c1e8b8095c582e0c8e.jpeglarge.C53CEC7A-4D9A-4400-AF57-F1DECFA00305.jpeg.8a0a3d87239f8222f114845d16a7e49c.jpego

damian666

the only fiddle you will have is that the axle will need to be further down from the truck for the new leafs. Last time I did this I propped the chassis on stands nice and high and hung the axle on Straps from the chassis so is could move it up and down. Made it nice and easy. If you are using trolley Jack and stands for the axle then raise the whole truck higher on its stands  and extend the ones under the axle. That way you have room to lower it. As in your picture you have nowhere to go!

As you have new plates for under the leafs and the whole works you don't need to feck about. I would get rid of the shackles and allow the axle down a bit (or truck up) so the dampers are fully extended with the fixed end of the leaf still attached. Then slice through the bolt holding the dampers to the plates under the leafs. Then u¦bolt the dampers and clean the top studs etc. Slitting disk, chop the ubolts across the top so they make two J's. They recoil less that way in my experience. Also with leaf fixed end still attached and axle on stands or Straps, nothing (except a bit of muck and surprise!) Will move and bite you when you chop the shackles.

Once the dampers are gone, swap one leaf at a time and fix only the non-shackle end to the chassis, then the dampers then last the shackle end. That way you have a bit more leverage on the dampers but you can jiggle the axle up and down etc to get the dampers on and aren't fighting the leafs.

• Upvote 2

Simmo50

Great, that sounds a good plan - thanks for the advice damian666

topcat7

Forget the dampers get them off and the new are last thing to put on when your new springs  in place otherwise they are in the way ..as Damian says get truck up as high as your can safe ...I had two sets stands under chassis on rear end as far back as possible but not in the way of fitting new springs you don't need stands under axle holding just trolley jack under some rag on diff (stops it sliding around ) rest I agree with Damian ..on refitting fixed end of springs first (front ) then lift up and connect shackle  finaly lift up axle in place with bottom plate and u bolts pull up tight ..you can do one side at a time I did them both together but I had axle right out ..borrow a torque wrench and with truck back on wheels on deck tighten up u bolts to 80lbs ft I wouldn't want truck coming off it's stands on you ..tc