Sævar Örn

MK4 Hilux travel rig from Iceland *56K warning

Sævar Örn

Hello HPOC! I have just found you! But as a matter of a fact I've had my pickup since may this year, and I've already done a ton of work to it, however there are several things still left to do, and along the way I may need some help, so thats where this forum comes in very handy.

My name is Sævar Örn, I'm born in 1991 and I have a master technician degree as an automotive mechanic, but I left the repair field a few years ago because I like to do that kind of work as a hobby, and doing it from 8 in the morning to 5 in the afternoon, and then again in my own shop after dinner to midnight was just too much! So today I am a M.O.T. inspector.

I've had some trucks before, I had a suzuki vitara from 2009 to 2014 and it came a long way, it was my first modification vehicle, it started out as just a normal everyday 33" vitara, and ended up as a 38" solid axle swapped monster, toyota hilux mk3 axles actually, and gearbox, but an engine from a Hyundai Galloper, 2.5. turbo diesel! A true monster really, and it was called Rudolph Diesel.

After I sold that car in 2014 I bought a Ford Explorer which was my second modification vehicle, it was the same there, it started slowly but by the time I sold it I had put a 2.9 mercedes turbo diesel 5 cylinder engine in it, 46" tires and GMC 3500 heavy duty solid truck axles!

here I have some photo of each of these cars, the build threads for them are mostly in Icelandic, and I don't plan to translate them very much, but maybe you will like to scroll through the photo albums, please keep in mind that when I was modifying my Suzuki I was 18 years old so not everything was done to "the book!"

but it worked!

Here are links to the build threads on Facebook

Suzuki Vitara 2009-12 and 2012-14

Ford Explorer

1399658_10152406581522907_917620041_o.jp1514945_10152524950107907_1193425146_n.j

1487872_10152453957932907_1468338396_o.j1620928_10152663014442907_594899689_n.jp

1997 Suzuki Vitara owned 2009 to august of 2014

12039205_10154298939547907_361355594842312108097_10154752122282907_4112194180488

15826194_10155734125242907_8984483771297994736_10154510888562907_15345598064684612507701_10154526170612907_6657098456605

1991 Ford Explorer XLT owned 2014 until early 2017

In the meantime I needed to go on a easter trip  with some kind of jeep, but I had sold the FORD, so what to do! I had a 35" Hyundai Galloper laying around, but 35" was far too small for going the route we went, so on one weekend I shoehorned 38" tires underneath it and went on the journey!

16992169_10155940973182907_872156447036517966172_10156115482397907_4440078397499

-PAXP-deijE.gif

17966959_10156115500442907_6571179892995

But enough of the past, it's time to introduce a new 'era to my modification series, a 2000 MK4 Toyota Pickup with a 2-LT engine

I'll keep adding progress to this build thread, but please leave your comments and questions and I will try to answer to the best of my memory and knowledge.

Upon selling the heavily modified Ford Explorer I had, I was feeling that now I needed to buy something that was complete, ready to run so to say, turn key ready. So I had saved some money and I was thinking about buying some recent car that had low milage and was already modified.

This was no easy task! So many possibilites, so many ideas!

I was watching an auction where there was this 2000 model year MK4 hilux LN165, and I put my money on it, not knowing if it needed a little work or a lot, I only bid low, and as it turned out, I won the auction!

So when I went to bid on the car I only had these following photos

WEKtvVIt.jpg IOS4Gi2r.jpg uTPitmOb.jpg TfcafpPF.jpg qDpTISUV.jpg MDuzEX7n.jpg tnHmpNzg.jpg 1o2L7ZS1.jpg

So I was thinking here is this car, pretty torn up, needs work, but doesnt need anything heavy in terms of modifications, I can do this for the money I've saved up to buy a ready to run car, and I have the whole summer! Mind you the auction was in may 2017!

So here I am, with this car... I immediately start looking for rust, it was quickly realized that there was no serious rust, the car was in such condition that it was OK to continue and fix him up. But I saw the rocker panels were done and the bracket underneath the driver seat, and part of the floor pan there underneath, this was quickly fixed but I would wait until the late of the summer to repair the rocker panels.

After doing all the body repair work I replaced the insulation in the floor to a thicker painters drip sheet, it's waterproof and provides good sound insulation and increases efficiency of the heater I believe, which can be a problem in Iceland in winter trips!

d0P3M3La.jpg JH1XRY34.jpg oo3PAslg.jpg dw7VAhbM.jpg UpIxItzX.jpg Jf5k4HAV.jpg VY2K7SkN.jpg vQ0yH3v1.jpg dsMSLJvx.jpg

in june I started looking at the bottom of the car, I immediately saw the electric motor actuator for the diff lock was, pardon my Icelandic, royally fucked... so after about 20 minutes of trying to service it I tossed it away, and I shall later make the actuator air operated, Simplicity for the win!

The drivers seat looked like it had been bitten by a shark, so I threw that out also, and put in seats from a 90s Subaru Legacy, these seats pretty much bolt in, no heavy modification needed, however I chose to make my own brackets just to make sure the seat was completely level, nothing kills your back more than a tilting car seat on long drives!

The seats I got from the breaker were very filthy, since they are not with heated bottoms I just went on it with a high pressure water jet and oil eater, and they are like new, and smell like a new car!

wC5E5QBe.jpg FJBIgxP9.jpg PQXQjL21.jpg juA68Qht.jpg 2gFV0mBy.jpg

• Upvote 2

Sævar Örn

ALSO, if you do Facebook, feel free to add me there, or follow. I have a lot of foreign friends, and there you can view my updates on the car in real time.

https://www.facebook.com/sabilagar

Sparks

Wow you have had to do a fair bit of work on her :notworthy: i do like the Vit you had to start with :thumbsup:

1487872_10152453957932907_1468338396_o.j

• Thanks 1

Sævar Örn
1 minute ago, Sparks said:

Wow you have had to do a fair bit of work on her :notworthy: i do like the Vit you had to start with :thumbsup:

Thanks Sparks.- It was a great school for me, but when I became a technician in the field I couldn't think about showing off my work quality in that way! Also the car was too small! I'm 185cm and 125kgs and closing the door was a chore! However, this thing was like a tank, nothing could stop it, endless torque for its weight, I had 5.71:1 ratios

But the noise from the ancient diesel engine medleyed into the passenger compartment so after a 4 hour drive everyone was dizzy and sleepy, not a great thought after all, but nice to look at and a great toy! but not by any means a travel rig as I intend this Hilux to become!

Sparks

Four hours is a long time solid driving in one of those :huh: even we class them as a weekend toy or shopping trolley, so don't blame you from you said :thumbsup: still looked the part though 

• Thanks 1

Deadly Dave

Great work done so far on the Hilux.  Looking forward to more.

• Thanks 1

Sævar Örn

This was in July, I put the car on the lift for the first time, this was a task in itself, the frame is so narrow in the front, and the 4 link in the rear is in the way for the lift arms, but I managed anyway.

Counterweight was needed to balance out the back because at that time I hadn't put the bed back on..

I did the brakes, new everything in the back but the drums, they were fine. and in the front I only slapped pads on and worked the caliper loose, I will need to get brake discs and rebuild the calipers and new pads before next summer!

Then I inspected the oil leaks, most of which were from the engine oil sump, which had rusted through completely and was dripping whenever the engine ran

hzv5jL0d.jpg 0tKTXu2u.jpg 4RAEJMUr.jpg u5tAznRp.jpg

Later in July, parts arrived from Milner Offroad which I had ordered engine sump, front chrome bumper, locking hubs for the front, knuckle rebuild and outer CVs and all ball joints etc

XsoXTQnP.jpg 0KOUfrxf.jpg iiAISKuc.jpg TgHSAV9r.jpg QrWgG1sC.jpg Sa5sTehD.jpg q5O1LdGm.jpg lJpAGESH.jpg wiBuRNz1.jpg 7jFb7s7j.jpg

September came early so I had to get my hands dirty with the rust repairs, new rocker panels and cut some more room out for the big 38" Arctic Truck tires

I then put the car back together mostly, and put the bed back on too! Some height adjustments were needed for the bed to sit correctly, and to this day I am still not completely satisfied, but its on there and its not going anywhere, but I will need to look into the placement of the mounts again at a later time!

tnavTXeG.jpg UJPtgGvQ_t.jpg XOJ4hU74_t.jpg 2p7wmiLX_t.jpg 7y11E8cq_t.jpg eANUAyg0_t.jpg

• Upvote 2

JasXPear

Wow, great thread, thanks for posting :thumbsup:

lastofthev8s

This thread has just had my full attention! Nice trucks! Welcome in and thanks for a great write up. :thumbsup:

Shifty

Very well explained and great pictures.  Keep them coming :thumbsup:

lew67

Very interesting and great pics, you certainly get stuck in and get it done :thumbsup:   Thanks and welcome :hi5:

savaphil

A great looking truck/project. Definitely keep us posted as you go along. Liking the sound of that 4 link rear suspension and diff lockers especially! Welcome to HPOC.

andycook

Great project, and lots of photos which we like

visited Iceland in 2015 in our Hilux for 2 weeks, great experience and country 

especially driving across the Highlands several times

Sparks

Thanks for bringing us up to date on build thread Mr Sævar Örn :thumbsup: you have access to some nice kit for doing some nice jobs :cool: keep up the good work 

Sævar Örn
1 hour ago, andycook said:

Great project, and lots of photos which we like

visited Iceland in 2015 in our Hilux for 2 weeks, great experience and country 

especially driving across the Highlands several times

Thanks Andy, Great to hear you like my place, but I can't imagine two weeks being nearly enough time if you came for traveling here!

I take a  travel vacation for 3 weeks here each summer and I always see something new!

1 hour ago, Sparks said:

Thanks for bringing us up to date on build thread Mr Sævar Örn :thumbsup: you have access to some nice kit for doing some nice jobs :cool: keep up the good work 

Thanks Sparks, I've had that workshop by myself since I had the Zuk in 2011, slowly gathering all the tools needed and pretty much it is a proper working repair garage by now, however I dread all sorts of car repairs for other people, but I'm the kind of guy that needs to have every tool and never borrow anything! It's kind of manic really, but I like it! All my money goes there, LOL

twincabsteve

Looks a great project and going to be some inspiration to us fellow mk4 owners. Great stuff :thumbsup:

Sævar Örn

Now we're almost caught up with my work ! In late august to mid september I took my girlfriend we visited the Valencian area of Spain, Alicante, Benidorm etc. for 3 weeks. It was a great time, and good for re energizing.

21125652_10156653602887907_477676768587721191883_10212178923501497_5763115865847

While we were out there I had ordered a Garmin GPSmap 276CX which I've wanted to get for a long time, I've always driven with a smaller GPS and had a laptop permanately mounted on the dash, this is both uncomfortable and annoying at times, this type of GPS has all I need and is much more reliable than some Windows mapping program.

When I came home I replaced the UV joint in the steering rod, it cost about 4 pound but the OEM steering rod cost about 60, so I decided this was the way to do it, I can get the dimensions if you need them, but this is not for the inexperienced to do! Mistakes here are not allowed, it will kill someone!

I then bought some used wheels and tyres, 38" AT 405 tyres 38x15.5R15 and widened rims 15x14" chrome steel wheels from a Nissan Patrol

These fit the car perfectly

I then applied ProtectaKote on the bed and the door sills where your shoes usually rub through the paint, this should also provide foot grip when your shoes are icey.

dmwrQhve_o.jpg nL1WLMk8_o.jpg OYnRmTWB_o.jpg QILLmEqs_o.jpg BNv1co1X_o.jpg Fn284URu_o.jpg RgSui45c_o.jpg O4J1dB2T_o.jpg fb1T6p52_o.jpg

2 minutes ago, twincabsteve said:

Looks a great project and going to be some inspiration to us fellow mk4 owners. Great stuff :thumbsup:

Thank you Steve, a question for the all of you, can you imagine a truck like the one I am building can be registered and pass M.O. T in britain to be legal on the public roads!?

twincabsteve

I can't see a problem, the arches have to cover the tyre treads, it should pass emissions and as long as its not rusty and everything works I don't see why it shouldn't. Mine has a coil sprung rear and that's not a problem. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable that me will be along soon 

VX280
3 hours ago, Sævar Örn said:

Now we're almost caught up with my work ! In late august to mid september I took my girlfriend we visited the Valencian area of Spain, Alicante, Benidorm etc. for 3 weeks. It was a great time, and good for re energizing.

21125652_10156653602887907_477676768587721191883_10212178923501497_5763115865847

While we were out there I had ordered a Garmin GPSmap 276CX which I've wanted to get for a long time, I've always driven with a smaller GPS and had a laptop permanately mounted on the dash, this is both uncomfortable and annoying at times, this type of GPS has all I need and is much more reliable than some Windows mapping program.

When I came home I replaced the UV joint in the steering rod, it cost about 4 pound but the OEM steering rod cost about 60, so I decided this was the way to do it, I can get the dimensions if you need them, but this is not for the inexperienced to do! Mistakes here are not allowed, it will kill someone!

I then bought some used wheels and tyres, 38" AT 405 tyres 38x15.5R15 and widened rims 15x14" chrome steel wheels from a Nissan Patrol

These fit the car perfectly

I then applied ProtectaKote on the bed and the door sills where your shoes usually rub through the paint, this should also provide foot grip when your shoes are icey.

dmwrQhve_o.jpg nL1WLMk8_o.jpg OYnRmTWB_o.jpg QILLmEqs_o.jpg BNv1co1X_o.jpg Fn284URu_o.jpg RgSui45c_o.jpg O4J1dB2T_o.jpg fb1T6p52_o.jpg

Thank you Steve, a question for the all of you, can you imagine a truck like the one I am building can be registered and pass M.O. T in britain to be legal on the public roads!?

I see no reason why it wouldn't. As said as long as the tyres are covered and emissions are ok there shouldn't be any problem.

By the way, where did you get those tyres as I've been looking for years and can't seem to find them anywhere ☹

• Thanks 1

VX280
11 hours ago, Sævar Örn said:

Thanks but I cant get the link to work sorry. I have emailed arctic trucks years ago about their tires but never got a reply

• Haha 1

Sævar Örn

Do a google search for "AT405" thats the name of the tyre

VX280

:thumbsup: 

• Thanks 1