Sign in to follow this  
THL

Landcrusier Essential toolkit

THL

Hello,

I'm driving an 80s series Landcrusier down to Sicily in a few weeks and although checks have been done before we leave I wanted to get together a small toolkit to deal with any possible incidents. The drive down will be on road but once there it will spend 12 weeks off road on a volcano.

Obviously jack and tools to change a wheel but any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance 

Luxxy

There's little really that should stop a well prepared 80 series. I have just done the Pyrenees and Alps in mine with no issues at all. Before that I did 4500 miles around the Baltic in it. The question is really how well prepared is it. And of course how handy you are on the spanners

There are very few special tools that you couldn't beg steal or borrow. However the 54mm box spanner for the front hubs is something you'd struggle to find. A simple pressed one is only about £12. Sockets and spanners in 8, 10, 12, 14, 17 and 19 mm should be sufficient for most adjustments and repairs.

Essential things to have right on the 80 are front, rear, centre diffs. Front swivel hubs, front wheel bearings correctly adjusted. CV joints in good order.

One very useful modification if you haven't done it it to put the centre diff lock switch in the dash and unplug the sender on the gearbox if it's an auto. On the 80, you only get CDL when you go into low. With this mod, you get diff lock on the move in high range and can have it disengaged when in low range. If you lose drive to the front wheels (broken CV etc) you can lock the CDL and revert to rear wheel drive only.

Without wishing to steal members away, I'd suggest that the best thing you could do would be come and join us at www.landcruiserclub.net We are huge on the 80 series and give international support to anyone who has an issue, breaks down or simply has questions. We arranges to fly parts out to people stranded in Europe before now. It's free and a fantastic source of help for any cruiser owner. We have links to parts suppliers, second hand parts for sale and even main dealer discounts.

It may be worth you considering ADAC recovery too. Many of us are with them for foreign travel and so far everyone who's used them has been impressed. About £85 for the year, no quibbles. Rescue from anywhere on mainland Europe

• Upvote 2

Luxxy

Glad I was able to help ....

crossbill

Excellent post, I'm sure he is very grateful, I think the trip is underway so he might well not have seen your contribution.

• Thanks 1

Luxxy

Ahh that's a shame. I didn't see his question til the other day. I don't normally look in the non Hilux section.  Thanks for cluing me in there. Hope he has a great trip. Sounds pretty good. He's not going to need any tools in any case. It's an 80 series.

THL

@Luxxy

SO SORRY!

I was indeed away on the trip when you replied and I haven't checked this part of the site for a good few months. You were quite right, no tools required! The landcrusier did 3000 miles off road with only the need for a new tyre (not really much you can do about a nail on the road!) and a tweek up of the fan belt. Thats some great advice thank you very much, I'll be adding those tools to the kit. The landcrusier is my father's and both of us are terrible mechanics but I'm keen to learn and unless I start to give it some TLC he'll let it go so I'll head over to the forum. You're not luring members away as I have a Toyota and will still be bothering folk on this site :tongue:.

• Like 1

Luxxy

Not a problem at all. I'm delighted but not surprised to hear that all went well.

THL
On 09/11/2017 at 16:59, Luxxy said:

Not a problem at all. I'm delighted but not surprised to hear that all went well.

After a suspected NS CV joint leak I took the truck up to Trevor from www.landcruiserclub.net. Looks like its a front axle rebuild, this would explain a lot of the minor issues he has experienced with the truck over the last 5 years or so. Sadly its been botched by a garage but all fixable and it should be good for many more miles once done.

Thanks again for the advice and forum link.

PS Nice stag in the pic. 

Luxxy

Yes I read your post earlier today. Sorry to hear that. I can imagine Trev's face. There'd be a moment I am sure where he doubted himself before he realised what was going on. I've been rebuilding an entire 80 axle this week. Full diff rebuild and pretty much everything new but the shafts and wheels.

Yes he was a good animal and a complete chance shot. Hadn't even got my stalking kit on. He was standing in our first field when I drove past. I never expected him to still be there when I went back. Broad daylight too.

THL

Haha - as it was the first time we'd met I could see him thinking "...how do I tell him this is f**ked in a polite way." A nice chap and he's really helping me out so any idea what he drinks? When the axle is all done I'd like to say thanks and alcohol seems appropriate :)

Good luck with the rebuild, once its done though should be good for a long while.

Wow, thats some good luck there. I'm a novice stalker and am having my second trip out to Scotland in a few weeks, can't wait. 

Luxxy

Well he most certainly does drink. Aside from just bottles of beer / lager stuff, I think he's a whisky man. But I can't recall what type. I think he's one of those freaks who actually likes Islay malts. Just picked up your message on the CRUISER forum. I spoke to him last night and you are right, he was thinking errmm, how do I break this to him gently.

Front diff and axle all rebuilt now and back with the owner. Drives lovely. He should really have had a new ring an pinion in the diff but at least I have managed to set his old gears up better so it's a lot quieter now.

Novice stalker eh? Excellent. Whereabouts you going? I need to get up there actually in December. Been neglecting my patch. I'll hitch the quad up to the Lux and go see if I can drag something out of the trees.

THL

I’m off to the hills of Galloway so not the real open hills but mainly forestry blocks. Some fair old hills there but nothing too serious. I’m hind culling along with Roe does too. Went last year and got my first Roe so hopefully get a red hind this trip.

Luxxy

I know the Galloway forest very well. Been stalking there for over 20 years now. We're based just out near Stranraer.  Tough time of year for stalking though. Regarding both the weather and the deer.  Best of luck.

Are you on Stalking Directory? If not you should join there for kit, stalking, discussion etc. it's very busy. Some good opportunities come up.

moggy1968

slightly bizzarely the only socket I can get to fit the plugs on my diff and gearbox/transfer box on the 60 is an imperial one, can't remember the size and can't be arsed going out to look at this time of night!

When I did the brakes on my merc I had to buy a long 3/4 inch socket bar from Halfords. It now lives under the rear seat in the cruise and I can't believe how many times it's got me out the poo working on the cruiser.

think it was this one

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/hand-tools/halfords-advanced-breaker-bar-19-3-4-drive

Luxxy

Is it not 24mm?

scottie

15/16ths AF and that would be a 6 sided socket by any chance? 

devonoak
On 30/12/2017 at 14:19, scottie said:

15/16ths AF and that would be a 6 sided socket by any chance? 

15/16 is interchangeable with 24 mm 

scottie
8 minutes ago, devonoak said:

15/16 is interchangeable with 24 mm 

Exactly my point tom . Be the perfect Imperial socket and 6 sided 

Not many but a few imperial to metric ,perfect fit , some witworth but again not many. 

Edited by scottie