Hilux Pickup Owners Club & Online Community
Sign in to follow this  
JasXPear

Inserting images into posts

JasXPear

Inserting images into posts is a little fiddly until you get the hang of it but once you do its a piece of cake.

How you insert them depends on the type of device you use to browse the forum and where you host the images.

Inserting images from a pc is the easiest so i'll do a couple of posts first on inserting pics from a pc using Facebook and tinypic

JasXPear

Using Internet Explorer on a PC & Facebook

1. Create a new album on your Facebook profile and set the visibility public. Use this to store the images you want to display in your posts.

2. In Internet Explorer, firstly view the image in FB that you want to post on HPOC.

3. Then right click on it and and choose "Properties"

4. In the properties page you'll see the internet address (URL) of the picture. 

5. Highlight the entire address and copy it

dheo9y.jpg

6. Paste this address directly into a post on HPOC and the forum will automatically display it.

Using Chrome on a PC & Facebook

Chrome, is slightly simpler than Internet Explorer. Follow the same steps as above but in Chrome you just need to right click on the image and choose "Copy Image Address" then paste this address directly into a post on HPOC and the forum will automatically display it.

Using a PC with Tinypic

1. Browse to http://tinypic.com/  . Click the "Choose File" button then select the image you want and click Upload Now

2e240sl.jpg

2. You may get a popup asking you to enter a word to prove your human not a spambot - if so enter the word required and click Upload Now again

3. Once uploaded you'll see several links to the image

25i67o6.jpg

4. Highlight the "Direct Link for Layouts"

5. Paste this address directly into a post on HPOC and the forum will automatically display it.

• Upvote 3

JasXPear

Using an iPad & Tinypic

Mobile devices are fiddlier just because its more awkward to cop and paste on them but the principle is the same as above.

When i get time I'll try to add screen captures from the ipad to demonstrate but meantime the step by step instructions are;

01. Browse to http://tinypic.com

02. Click "Choose File"
03. Choose "Photo Library"
04. Scroll through the pics in your photo library till you get to the one you want then click it and choose "Upload Now"
05. You may get an antispam pop asking you to enter a phrase, if you do type it in
06. The pic will upload and you'll get a small preview and several "Share This Image" links
07. Double click http part the "Direct Link For Layouts" link
08. The http part of the link will be highlighted
09. Click and drag the right hand blue link highlighter to the last character of the link
10. Choose copy
11. In your HPOC post where you want to post the image do a long click in the text box then let go
13. Choose paste
14. The link will paste in auto display

• Upvote 1

scottie

Great post boss on tinypic. What I did was just add to a post copied one link at a time hit return/enter :lol: Till I found the one that worked 

• Upvote 1

Toad

You can set your Facebook album to private and the image will still display on here.

devonoak
23 hours ago, Toad said:

You can set your Facebook album to private and the image will still display on here.

.....for a while. I have always used Facebook as my photo server and you will notice if you look at some of my older build threads that the photo links are broken . I'm pretty sure they change the urls every now and then - perhaps to stop them being a reliable photo server, or maybe it's because of space reshuffles within their server system. Anyway you won't lose your photos but the links will break. I did try and go through one of my threads and renew them but it's a hell of a job when there's thirty odd pages and you have to remember which pics went where etc. 

Just a word of warning. They won't stay links forever.

• Upvote 1

Sparks
11 minutes ago, devonoak said:

.....for a while. I have always used Facebook as my photo server and you will notice if you look at some of my older build threads that the photo links are broken . I'm pretty sure they change the urls every now and then - perhaps to stop them being a reliable photo server, or maybe it's because of space reshuffles within their server system. Anyway you won't lose your photos but the links will break. I did try and go through one of my threads and renew them but it's a hell of a job when there's thirty odd pages and you have to remember which pics went where etc. 

I thought it was based on a 30 day no looky so no linky, so as long as someone opens it to look every now and then it should stay 

devonoak
Just now, Sparks said:

I thought it was based on a 30 day no looky so no linky, so as long as someone opens it to look every now and then it should stay 

That's possible but I can't verify it.

Sparks
3 minutes ago, devonoak said:

That's possible but I can't verify it.

My bad just remembered it is tinypic that does the 30 day no lookie thing 

devonoak
1 minute ago, Sparks said:

My bad just remembered it is tinypic that does the 30 day no lookie thing 

I have just been in the mods section looking at the devonoak mog thread. Not a single pic to be found. Will carry on and see what I can see.  But it's disappointing because it would be nice to refer to the words and pictures together. It's a shame the forum doesn't have its own hosting for images but I guess it all boils down to warehousing space on servers and backup hard drives etc.

JasXPear
23 minutes ago, devonoak said:

I didn't realise that happened but doesn't surprise me, as they change things over time then links may change I guess.

devonoak
7 minutes ago, JasXPear said:

I didn't realise that happened but doesn't surprise me, as they change things over time then links may change I guess.

Yes as I said it's a bit disappointing rereading the old threads when the pics are lost. I suppose if I really cared I'd host them all myself but it's just more work with the IPswitch type programmes and I'm not geeky enough. I use one now that's a Firefox extension, Web based, which you can just drop down off their browser  (or do I? Yes sure I do, I use bluegriffon as my free dream weaver copy and upload through Firefox ) 

hypoid90
On 16/07/2017 at 13:14, JasXPear said:

Inserting images into posts is a little fiddly until you get the hang of it but once you do its a piece of cake.

How you insert them depends on the type of device you use to browse the forum and where you host the images.

I'm on a Mac laptop and was using Photobucket.

On Facebook I set up a private gallery, then open the picture I want to upload so it's big (I need this kind of tuition, so I'll stay basic, bluegriffon and dream weaver, lawd..).

Looking at the pic if I do a two finger simultaneous click I get a pop up menu. On that there is the option "copy image location". Just click on that, then open up the "insert other media" box in the post and click on "insert image from URL".  A URL box opens up and just paste (cmd V) into it, then click insert into post.

• Upvote 1

devonoak

The latest version of the forum seems to allow image urls to be pasted directly into the text box. 9 times out of 10 it automatically converts them into a pic. Which it certainly didn't do a year or so ago.

topcat7

I have not got Facebook neither do I want it !! & no computer but I have an I pad so can I post just using this ..? Anyone with just an I pad ..pleaseeeee helpppp.. tc 

JasXPear
8 hours ago, topcat7 said:

I have not got Facebook neither do I want it !! & no computer but I have an I pad so can I post just using this ..? Anyone with just an I pad ..pleaseeeee helpppp.. tc 

Yes instructions above TC

topcat7
18 minutes ago, JasXPear said:

Yes instructions above TC

Well the good news is my photos now on tiny pics but I'm buggered if I can follow these directions jax ?? But my mates boy said he might be able to help weekend ..if I tell you I had a laptop pc years ago that flew across the house finally being obliterated with a small sledge hammer this may go some way into describing my utter frustration and anger with this technology ..my daughter got me into an I pad when they came out and I have learnt what I needed to ,I really don't want this newish I pad going the way of my laptop so I'm not going to try anymore until I am shown ..?..tc 

JasXPear
5 hours ago, topcat7 said:

Well the good news is my photos now on tiny pics but I'm buggered if I can follow these directions jax ?? But my mates boy said he might be able to help weekend ..if I tell you I had a laptop pc years ago that flew across the house finally being obliterated with a small sledge hammer this may go some way into describing my utter frustration and anger with this technology ..my daughter got me into an I pad when they came out and I have learnt what I needed to ,I really don't want this newish I pad going the way of my laptop so I'm not going to try anymore until I am shown ..?..tc 

Which line are you stuck on mate?

01. Browse to http://tinypic.com
02. Click "Choose File"
04. Scroll through the pics in your photo library till you get to the one you want then click it and choose "Upload Now"
05. You may get an antispam pop asking you to enter a phrase, if you do type it in
06. The pic will upload and you'll get a small preview and several "Share This Image" links
09. Click and drag the right hand blue link highlighter to the last character of the link
10. Choose copy
11. In your HPOC post where you want to post the image do a long click in the text box then let go
13. Choose paste

Drop me a pm, happy to help you through it step by step

topcat7
5 hours ago, JasXPear said:

Which line are you stuck on mate?

01. Browse to http://tinypic.com
02. Click "Choose File"
10. Choose copy
13. Choose paste

Drop me a pm, happy to help you through it step by step

It's ok jas I need to be shown mate I've had it ?My head hurts ..tc 

Sparks
26 minutes ago, topcat7 said:

It's ok jas I need to be shown mate I've had it ?My head hurts ..tc 

It's not far off so make sure you keep hold of the pics then Mr Cat :thumbsup:

topcat7
17 minutes ago, Sparks said:

It's not far off so make sure you keep hold of the pics then Mr Cat :thumbsup:

Will do Mitch ! Today I've tarpaulined off the garage with clear polythene over the lights from cab back I've ground off the chassis phosphoric acid treated it ..tomorrow morning gonna sandblast it lightly all over to key nicely for paint ..so next month I can start the rebuild as all that's going back on is either new or restored to like new ....the nice bit mitch :yahoo:..tc

Sparks
19 minutes ago, topcat7 said:

Will do Mitch ! Today I've tarpaulined off the garage with clear polythene over the lights from cab back I've ground off the chassis phosphoric acid treated it ..tomorrow morning gonna sandblast it lightly all over to key nicely for paint ..so next month I can start the rebuild as all that's going back on is either new or restored to like new ....the nice bit mitch :yahoo:..tc

Nice one and my fave bit as well :thumbsup: well as long as you don't scratch any of the new painted parts :unsure:

scottie

So from what I can gather it`s FB or tinypix.  But the tinypix ones  all go after a while. Is that it? nothing else we can use for the common man? Thats not going to cost an arm,leg or selling off a kidney.

:hmm:Not into the whole conspiracy theory thing.

But FB taking over the world of build threads NOW thats :ahh:scary. 

JasXPear
4 hours ago, scottie said:

So from what I can gather it`s FB or tinypix.  But the tinypix ones  all go after a while. Is that it? nothing else we can use for the common man? Thats not going to cost an arm,leg or selling off a kidney.

:hmm:Not into the whole conspiracy theory thing.

But FB taking over the world of build threads NOW thats :ahh:scary. 

No guarantees with anything mate so pick whatever works easiest for you. Tinypic is easy for the odd one or 2 but FB is easier to manage if you have lots or want to save in albums etc. I'm sure Google photos would do it if you don't fancy FB but I'm not sure about hotlinking on forums. I don't personally see why people get so aggy about FB, just use it for what you want from it, you don't have to accept any friends, can make everything private, etc.

• Upvote 1

Paul.T
1 hour ago, JasXPear said:

No guarantees with anything mate so pick whatever works easiest for you. Tinypic is easy for the odd one or 2 but FB is easier to manage if you have lots or want to save in albums etc. I'm sure Google photos would do it if you don't fancy FB but I'm not sure about hotlinking on forums. I don't personally see why people get so aggy about FB, just use it for what you want from it, you don't have to accept any friends, can make everything private, etc.

I have noticed some of my 2 year old pics in posts are no longer working, they are based on Facebook, luckily I now have the powers to go back and edit them so they have facebook's latest link to them

Sign in to follow this