DPETE

Spotlight Wiring

DPETE

Based on Toyota Hilux MK2

The hilux has a negative switching system, therefore, standard spotlight wiring configuration will not work. It also has the dim dip system, which gives all sorts of mysterious effects.

To wire up the spots to go on/off with the high beam, wire as follows:-

Undo the seven screws under the steering cowling on the dash. the bottom two hold the multiplug only, two screw into the support bars and the other 3 hold the top cowling to the bottom.

In the large multiplug you will see a thick red wire, with a yellow stripe, this is the wire for you neg switch. its in the bottom row of the plug about 6th or 7th from the right hand side.

Take a feed from this wire and run it to the relay on pin number 85

relay wiring

post-48-1167487317_thumb.jpg

pin 30 = Bat + (feed for the spots)

pin 86 = Bat + (feed for the swiching circuit)

Pin 87 = Spots

Pin 85 = Neg switch feed from red / yellow wire

Thus when you turn on the main beam this will earth the feed to pin 86 and energise the relay so that the battery feed to pin 30 goes via pin 87 to the spots.

i put a simple toggle switch (as shown in the diagram) in line between the relay and the feed wire so i could have the spots on / off with the high beam on.

When refitting the cowling, put the bottom part on first and screw to the support, then fit the bottom two screws that support the plug, this way you can just about get your hand in to support the plug. then fit the top part and secure all screws.

NOTE : if you are using more than one pair of spots i would advise the fitting of two relays, one for each pair of spots.

Marc T

When I fitted the roof spots to ours, I used the wire from the light stalk. - It sounds like the same one you have used.

You may find that as well as coming on with the full/high beam when you flash (stalk pulled forward) or select main beam with the lights on(stalk pushed back with lights on dipped beam), if you push the stalk back with the lights off, the spot lamps will come on, but the headlamp full beam won't.

This is because the switch always sends the output to the lamps, but as the other feed isn't on the headlamps they don't come on (This is correct) but it will power the spot lamp relay (And the spot lights)

The way round this is to take the - feed (for the relay) from the headlamp side of the wiring.- But I quite like it as if your off road you may not want all the lights on as the spot lights are enough.

DPETE

Yes Mark youre quite right.

The main beam switch will go to earth regardless of the lights being on, so you could have the headlights off, but put your switch in the full beam position and have the spots on.

personaly its not a problem, but as you say the alternative is to have the feed for the relay trigger coming from the light circuit positive.

i fitted a switch so i can keep the spots off anyway if i want.

For anyone interested, the Daihatsu Fourtrak works the same way. (i wired up the spots on my old one the same way)

mowglippml

brilliant, thanks for the info.

oflynno

interesting.the dude that had the lux before me had spots on the a bar and left the wiring there when he took the a bar.anywho what is the story if you want to wire roof marker lights like the dodge ram has?

deadly dave said to take a feed off the illumination from the fog light switch as the switching mechanism as to tap into the sidelights would melt wires.i iz confused as my fog light illumination does not work.which wire would it be on the hazard light switch?? :banghead:

DPETE

your only using the switching wire to switch the relay, not to feed the lights, however, i doubt if a illumination wire would be sufficent.

i would take the switching wire from the side light circuit.

Deadly Dave
your only using the switching wire to switch the relay, not to feed the lights, however, i doubt if a illumination wire would be sufficent.

i would take the switching wire from the side light circuit.

The wire I used is the Green wire with a silver dot on it at the fog light switch. It goes positive when the sidelights are turned on so is easier for people to understand then negative switching. It is the same gauge as the rest of the wiring at the switch gear and will only trigger a relay.

Les
The wire I used is the Green wire with a silver dot on it at the fog light switch. It goes positive when the sidelights are turned on so is easier for people to understand then negative switching. It is the same gauge as the rest of the wiring at the switch gear and will only trigger a relay.

The Mitsubishi Evos are wired pretty much the same. All we do on them is wire the relay in parrallel to the main beam off the back of the bulb holder.

You can run two core cable to the dash (to break the circuit) if you want a switch. Not something we bother with as we only fit the lights when it gets dark or sods law says they will get knocked off!

Nicely

I've done the wiring according to Pete's first post. I'm finding that, with the lights turned off on the stalk, the main lights are coming on (dipped) when both live wires are connected to the relay. The spots come on and main lights go off when I push the stalk onto full beam (lights still off on stalk). :huh: Help!

DPETE

i think you must have pin 85 to earth, have you switched it?

or

wire pin 85 to earth, and pin 86 to the foglight and then use a switch.

make sure you are using a 4 pin relay and you have the right wires to the right pins.

let us know how you get on.

Nicely

100% wired correctly. Live to both 30 and 86, 87 to the spots, 85 to the red/yellow.

I'm wanting to use that method as I want the spots to come on with the stalk on full beam and the main lights off :)

DPETE

not sure if i read your post correctly, but this should happen :-

ign off or on

lights can go on / off with ign off via stalk

with aux light switch on, these will also be on

so make sure the stalk is in dipped, or the aux lights can be on.

other than that i dont know, as both are mk2s and should have the same wires.

check the red/yellow goes to earth when the main beam goes on.

Nicely

Looks like the relay was buggered. Tried again today with a different relay and it worked as expected :cheersbeer:

DPETE
Looks like the relay was buggered. Tried again today with a different relay and it worked as expected :cheersbeer:

nice one.

Glad ya got it sorted.

Deadly Dave

I meant to post this a while ago. When I fitted my roof lights I found they were flickering when I accelerated. All wiring connections were good and the earth connection to the buck was good too. I found that the buck was not earthed/connected to the chassis. I fitted an earth strap (Halfords) from buck to chassis and solved the problem.

marko
yeah...i thought about this when i fitted mine...i chose to run a ground feed directly to the battery tho when i was running the wiring in :)

i never really thought about mine but when i wired them in but i ran the earth down and onto a flat bit on the gearbox cross member which has worked fine.

coss1e

help guys when i wire up me relay for spots they come on with dip and go off with full beam, no good help please

coss1e

fixed it,i wanted the red wire with black spots.mustbe different for imports.

andy.i

got mine working first time, thanks ! :)

Mattandterri1505

is this the same for a mk3 import?? how would i wire up 2 sets of spots? got 2 relays and wiring so do i just need to run the two lot of wires next to each other in the block plug thingy?? useless at electric stuff :rolleyes: lol

cheers guys

neoxerox
fixed it,i wanted the red wire with black spots.mustbe different for imports.

Mattandterri1505

hey guys i swear my truck is haunted or something! ive just wired my spots up and someone has said that the wire in the miltiplug is red with black spots on the imports, but mine has the red with yellow stripe like uk ones :wacko: and after i wired it all up i walked round the front to get tools and the spots just come on, they stay on but if i turn sidelights on they go off but still come on with main beam, and they stay on with the key out the ignition! wot the hell is goin on with it????

Toad

Did you sort this mate?

Mike Evans

Hi DPETE,

Great wiring instructions, thanks very much.

Just wired a pair of spot lamps in on my Mk3 pickup.

All working well, however the main beam blue light on the dashboard is now on when either dipped or main is switched.

Any thoughts?

Mike

greek

Just dragging this up to the top. Followed these instructions and my spots work perfectly! Thanks very much :) 

• Like 1